The following syllabus is subject to change, depending on circumstances.
Blog posts are due Monday evening, by midnight (Pacific Time); blog comments are due Wednesday evening.
You need to attend at least one “real time” session (via Zoom) each week; you are very welcome to attend both, if you so wish.
The full text of all lecture videos is available here.
- Week 1: Where is Latin America?
- Week 2: The Meeting of Two Worlds
- Week 3: The Colonial Experience
- Week 4: Independence Narratives, Past and Present
- Week 5: Caudillos Versus the Nation State
- Week 6: Citizenship and Rights in the New Republics
- Week 7: The Export Boom as Modernity
- Week 8: Signs of Crisis in a Gilded Age
- Monday, October 26: Midterm (take-home)
- Week 9: Commerce, Coercion, and America’s Empire
- Week 10: Power to the People
- Week 10a: A Decade of Revolution in Cuba
- Week 11: The Terror
- November 17: short research assignment due
- Week 12: Speaking Truth to Power
- Week 13: Towards an Uncertain Future
- December 1: video projects due
- December 3: video project showcase
- December 16: Final exam (take-home)